|Year : 2018 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 180-184
Faculty news for the annals of tropical pathology September 2018
Tamuno T Wakama
Faculty of Pathology, National Postgraduate Medical of Nigeria, Ijanikin, Lagos, Nigeria
|Date of Web Publication||19-Nov-2018|
Tamuno T Wakama
Faculty Secretary, Faculty of Pathology, NPMCN
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Wakama TT. Faculty news for the annals of tropical pathology September 2018. Ann Trop Pathol 2018;9:180-4
| Faculty/college Activities|| |
Results of March/April/May 2018 Fellowship Examination Results
The above examinations were conducted successfully and the approved/ratified results (Percentage pass) by College Senate are as follows:
- Primary 55%
- Part I 56.9%
- Part II 58.5%
We wish to congratulate the successful candidates.
Court of examiners
College Senate at its last meeting in May 2018 approved new Court of Examiners. The members are:
- Dr. FM Abbiyesuku: Chemical Pathology
- Dr. TT Wakama: Haematology
- Dr. C. Isichei: Chemical Pathology
- Dr. Aisha Mamman: Haematology
- Dr. AH Rafindadi: Anatomic Pathology
- Dr. JO Obafunwa: Anatomic Pathology
- Dr. AT Olayinka: Medical Microbiology
- Dr. C. Akujobi: Medical Microbiology
| 2018 Convocation|| |
The 2018 Convocation comes up on the 20th of September 2018 at the College Premises, Ijanikin Lagos.
As at the time of this report, the following candidates have been cleared for the convocation. The Faculty has about 50 candidates convocating. Some of the candidates were outstanding, winning some prizes. The prize winners are as listed in Table 1.
List of 2018 Convokees in the faculty of pathology:
- Dr. Wanka, Aisha Nabila
- Dr. Ojo, Matilda Adesuwa Osagie
- Dr. Adaja, Matthew Tomisin
- Dr. Agwu, Obineche
- Dr. Usman, Asma'u
- Dr. Ezire, Enifome Solomon
- Dr. Akpa, Philip Ojile
- Dr. Atoe, Kenneth
- Dr. Badiru, Mulikat Adesola
- Dr. Idubor, Nosakhare Tajudeen
- Dr. Dahiru, Aminu M
- Dr. Adelekan, Oluwaseun Olabisi
- Dr. Phillips, Adekoyejo Abiodun
- Dr. Oladosu, Waliu Olatunbosun
- Dr. Ushie, Edem David
- Dr. Adeyemo, Adeyemi Temitayo
- Dr. Adegbile, Samsudeen Adeniran
- Dr. Dachi, Rufai Abdu
- Dr. Adeyemi, Oluwafemi
- Dr. Ezeugwu, Sampson Ibekwe
- Dr. Adekiitan, Mayowa Emmanuel
- Dr. Okunowo, Lanrewaju Oluwaseun
- Dr. Akinola, Oyekemi Ifeoluwapo
- Dr. James, Jasini
- Dr. Shonde-Adebola, Khadijah Bolanle
- Dr. Abdullahi, Shehu
- Dr. Aluko, John Ademola
- Dr. Egbo, Ojevwe
- Dr. Nwafia, Ifeyinwa Nkeiruka
- Dr. Ettu, Abdul-Wahab Omo-Ope
- Dr. Kila, Oluwayemisi Oluseyi
- Dr. Eziagu, Uchechukwu Brian
- Dr. Osuolale, Fadesewa Ibiolagbajosi
- Dr. Davies, Nosimot Omolola
- Dr. Bassey, Bassey Okon
- Dr. Okwudire-Ejeh, Ijeoma Ahunna
- Dr. Kabir, Abba
- Dr. Balarabe, Kabir
- Dr. Dahiru, Abubakar
- Dr. Nwafia, Ifeyinwa Nkeiruka
- Adamu Adamu Isa
- Abiri, Oyekola Victor
- Adebayo, Adeshola
- Enifeni, Eniola Kehinde
- Iyere, Emmanuel Osezie
- Anjorin, Andrew Olushola
- Aigbe, Isibhakhome Asabe
- Nweke, Michael Chukwugoziem
- Abolarin, Ademola Toyosi
- Mustapha, Zainab Abubakar.
| Accreditation of Training Institutions|| |
The faculty made accreditation visits to several Training Institutions.
A COMPREHENSIVE accreditation status of the various Institutions is listed in Table 2. Please go through and take steps to ensure that your department/Institution is accredited. Please note that application for accreditation is now made through the ePortal. For further details, visit the college website/ePortal or contact the TAM office.
| Assessment of Proposals|| |
Delays in the assessment of proposals have continued to be a major challenge. It is hoped that the process of online assessment through the ePortal will drastically reduce this. We are all advised to regularly access the ePortal and respond promptly to mails through our college email addresses.
| Annals of Tropical Pathology|| |
Dr. Igwebuike Onyiaorah has been elected to replace Dr. A Mayun (late) as associate editor, Anatomic Pathology.
| Revision of Curriculum/log Book|| |
Our Curriculum/Handbook, last revised in 2013, has been sent to the Docimology Committee of Senate for review. In addition, copies of Sub-specialty logbooks have also been prepared. We request faculty board members and all other fellows to forward contributions to ensure that we have a perfect document.
| Third Senate Member|| |
Dr Barnabas Mandong (Anatomic Pathology, JUTH Jos) was elected third member of Senate in place of Dr. AA Mayun (late). We congratulate him on his election.
| Annual Scientific Conference and All Fellows Congress|| |
The 13th Annual Scientific Conference and All Fellows Congress of the College was held from August 12 to 17, 2018 in Owerri, Imo State, with the theme “Current Challenges in Medical Education in Nigeria.”
| College Preconference Workshop|| |
This Workshop on Part II Dissertation procedures took place on August 12, 2018, as part of the ASCAF. Issues of uniform proposal/dissertation assessment and the ePortal were addressed at the Workshop.
| Faculty All Fellows Meeting|| |
The 22nd Faculty All Fellows Meeting took place at the All Seasons Hotel, Owerri on the August 13, 2018. The Theme was “The role of Technology in Modern Pathology Practice (Modern Trends in Laboratory Medicine). The Guest Lecture on “Role of Vitropsy in Legal Medicine” was given by Dr. John O. Obafunwa, professor of Forensic Pathology. The guest lecture was followed by a workshop on Dissertation/Thesis writing facilitated by Dr. FT Ogunsola (Professor of Microbiology), Dr. Abike Fowotade and Dr. Rita Oladele. It was moderated by Dr. KC Iregbu. Dr. Norah Akinola (Professor of Haematology), a key member of the theme, was unavoidably absent at the presentation. On behalf of the Faculty, we express our profound gratitude to the Guest Lecturer and the Workshop Resource persons and members of the LOC.
| Upcoming Events|| |
- College of Nigerian Pathologists Annual Conference, Lagos. November 28–30, 2018
- Faculty All Fellows Meeting in 2019 to hold in September in Abuja: Faculty Guest Lecture to be taken by Chemical Pathology
- College 2019 ASCAF and Convocation to hold in September 2019 in Abuja
- NCIC (National Conference on Infection Control in Abuja. September 27–29, 2018
- Faculty of Pathology Revision/Update course to hold in late January/February 2019 at the National Hospital Abuja.
| Felicitation|| |
On behalf of the Faculty, we wish to congratulate and felicitate with the following fellows on their various achievements within the year.
| Inaugural Lecture|| |
- Dr. Matthew Enosolease for his Inaugural Lecture at the University of Benin.
- Dr. C. Orluwene
- Dr. Tola Daramola
- Dr. Darlington Obaseki.
Award of PhD:
- Dr. Rita Oladele
- Dr. Saad Ahmed.
- Dr. Francis Faduyile on his election as NMA President
- Dr. FT Ogunsola: Election as Chairman Infection Control Africa Network (ICAN).
I am sure there a lot more but these are the ones that were brought to our attention. Please let the Secretariat know of any issues that need to be brought to the attention of the faculty.
We regret to announce the death of the following fellows of our faculty
- Dr. Olu Osoba FX-08/0857
- Dr. Audu Ahmed Mayun FX-08/1447
- Dr. Ochicha Ochicha FX-08/0996
May the Lord grant their souls eternal rest and comfort to their families.
In the last one year, a few of our colleagues died. We wish the families the fortitude to bear the loss and for God to grant the departed eternal rest.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
[Table 1], [Table 2]